Sailing for Sustainability in Asia – Spring 2018
Socially and Environmentally Responsible Tourism
Travel in Southeast Asia with the Peace Boat and learn about the UN SDGs in an experiential study program “Sailing for Sustainability in Asia”, taking place April 2-20, 2018 during Peace Boat’s 97th Voyage, visiting Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, and Vietnam.
In 2015, 193 UN member states came together to define 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to shape the global agenda for sustainable development in the next fifteen years and beyond. Peace Boat has made promoting and advancing the UN SDGs a key part of its mission.
This program is for students, activists, and lifelong learners of all ages, backgrounds, and nationalities who are currently or previously involved in SDG-related activities or have a strong desire to learn about sustainable development.
Youth for the SDGs Scholarship
Achieving the SDGs requires mobilization of young people through entrepreneurship, volunteering, research, education and other endeavors. Toward this aim, Peace Boat US is providing two full scholarships (program fee and travel expenses) and a limited number of partial scholarships each, for this program and our Summer 2018 Latin America SDGs program, under the “Youth for the SDGs” theme. Please see below for application criteria and qualities we are looking for in applicants.
Click to download flyer
Program and Itinerary
Sailing onboard Peace Boat, you’ll attend presentations, seminars, and workshops addressing the SDGs. You’ll also enjoy being immersed in the onboard community with many opportunities to participate in other cultural, educational, and social activities and events.
In ports, you’ll visit local NGOs and others who are working directly on SDG issues related to climate change, youth engagement, and policy-making.
- April 2 – Depart for Singapore
- April 3 – Arrive in Singapore and Orientation meeting
- April 4 – Study Program in Singapore
- April 5 – Study Program in Singapore, embark on Peace Boat, orientation onboard and departure ceremony
- April 6 – Onboard program: Introduction session on the SDGs, Sustainable Development, Travel, Social Good
- April 7-9 – Port programs in Sihanoukville, Cambodia for Cultural Exchange and Field Studies
- April 10-11 – Port programs in Bangkok, Thailand for Ecotourism and Sustainable travel
- April 12-14 – Onboard program: learn about the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- April 15-16 – Port programs in Cai Lan, Vietnam to learn about Environmental Issues and the SDGs
- April 16 – Disembark in Vietnam
- April 17-19 – Experience Programs in Vietnam to learn about Ecotourism and Sustainable Development
- April 20 – Return home (or extend personal travel)
Program fee: $2800
Peace Boat US is partnering with Wildlife Works to make our programs carbon neutral.
- Includes: all meals, onboard programs, onboard accommodation (shared occupancy) port programs, transportation during port programs, tips, and port charges
- Does not include: airfare to and from program, travel insurance, visa expenses if necessary, and misc personal expenses
- Passport must be valid through December, 2018
- Participants are responsible for obtaining visas if necessary per nationality
Upon initial registration, we will send further details about completing the voyage registration, documents for submission, and payment processes. Short-listed scholarship applicants will be contacted individually to schedule an interview process.
- Initial Registration and Scholarship Application – February 20
- Non-refundable deposit of $500 – March 10
- Payment of balance remainder of $2300 – March 25
Program registration and scholarship application is now closed
- Ages 18-30 years old
- Currently or previously involved in SDG-related initiatives
- Ability to obtain visas for relevant countries if necessary
- Possess a passport valid through February 28, 2019
Qualities we are looking for in scholarship applicants
- Leadership skills
- Strong speaking and presentation ability (in English)
- Experience volunteering or working on SDG-related initiatives, with particular emphasis on SDG13 (Climate Action) and SDG14 (Life Below Water), as part of Peace Boat’s commitment to the Ocean Pathway Partnership, a COP23 initiative recognizing the critical relationship between climate and the ocean, and reflecting the.Call for Action from the first UN Ocean Conference in 2017.
- Commitment and plans for continuing SDG-related work in the future