- This event has passed.
With Love to Hiroshima and Nagasaki – A Concert for Disarmament
May 2, 2015 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
A world without nuclear weapons. Atomic bomb survivors have been doing so for 70 years. From Hiroshima and Nagasaki to Fukushima and Indian Point, A-bomb survivors and New York City high school students unite. Good-bye nukes!
Download Flyer Here
The Concert for Disarmament will be held during the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Review Conference on Disarmament in NYC (4/27 – 5/22, 2015), as a tribute to, and celebration of, years of working together with Hibakusha (atomic bomb survivors).
An evening of music and spoken word featuring performers:
- The Hibakusha Choir, Himawari with Fiorello LaGuardia High School for Music and Art & the Performing Arts Choir
- Eco philosopher and Buddhist scholar Joanna Macy
- Excerpt from Peace Symphony by Paul D. Miller aka DJ Spooky featuring members of the Nouveau Classical Project
- Brooklyn-based composer and musician Jean Rohe
- Multi-reedist and composer Sam Sadigursky
- Masaaki Tanokura, concertmaster, Osaka Symphony, & the Hiroshima Jogakuin hibaku (atomic bomb survived) violin
- Poet Anne Waldman with Fast Speaking Music
- Tim Wright, ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons)
- Atomic bomb survivors Setsuko Thurlow, Shigeko Sasamori and Yasuaki Yamashita
Hosted by Clifton Truman Daniel, grandson of US President Harry S Truman
Directed by Linda S. Chapman
Projections by Pikadon Project and Amber Cooper Davies
Written and produced by Kathleen Sullivan and Robert Croonquist
US Media Contact:
Carolina Soto // firstname.lastname@example.org // (917) 453-7036
Emilie McGlone, Peace Boat US // email@example.com
Japanese Media Contact:
Mitchie Takeuchi // firstname.lastname@example.org // (917) 626-3090
General Admission: $35 @ http://www.brownpapertickets.