Peace Education and the UN Sustainable Development Goals in Latin America – June 20 to July 3, 2020
Travel between Panama, Costa Rica, and Mexico onboard the Peace Boat and learn about the UN Sustainable Development Goals in an experiential study program “Peace Education and the SDGs in Latin America”, taking place June 20-July 3, 2020 during Peace Boat’s 104th Voyage.
In 2015, 193 UN member states came together to define 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to shape the global agenda for sustainable development in the next fifteen years and beyond. Peace Boat has made promoting and advancing the UN SDGs a key part of its mission.
This program will focus on SDGs:
13 – Climate Action
14 – Life Below Water
15 – Life on Land
17 – Partnerships for the Goals
This program is for students, activists, and lifelong learners of all ages, backgrounds, and nationalities who are currently or previously involved in SDG-related activities or have a strong desire to learn about sustainable development.
Youth for the SDGs Scholarship
Achieving the SDGs requires mobilization of young people through entrepreneurship, volunteering, research, education and other endeavors. Toward this aim, Peace Boat US is providing two full scholarships (program fee and travel expenses) and a limited number of partial scholarships under the “Youth for the SDGs” theme. Please see below for application criteria and qualities we are looking for in applicants.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until April 1, 2020. Space is limited!
Program & Itinerary
- June 20-23 Program begins in Panama City with a focus on SDG 17 Partnerships for the Goals. Participants attend presentations at the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) office and join an exchange program with indigenous communities and refugee youth.
- June 24 Embark on Peace Boat in Cristobal, Panama.
- June 25 Sail through the Panama Canal.
- June 25-26 Onboard program with lectures, workshops, and presentations on the SDGs, as well as cultural exchange activities.
- June 26 Arrival in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Study program will focus on SDG 13 Climate Action and SDG 15 Life on Land and will explore the rich natural environment including rain forests and coastline.
- June 27-31 Continue onboard educational programs focusing on the SDGs.
- July 1 Arrival in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Study program focusing on SDG 14 Life Below Water.
- July 2-3 Study programs and cultural exchange with local communities.
- July 3 Conclusion of program; participants return home or continue personal travel.
- Includes: all meals, onboard programs, onboard accommodation (shared occupancy) port programs, transportation during port programs, tips, and port charges.
- Does not include: airfare to and from program, travel insurance, visa expenses if necessary, and misc personal expenses.
- Passport must be valid through January 31, 2021.
- Participants are responsible for obtaining visas if necessary per nationality.
- Ages 18-30 years old.
- Currently or previously involved in SDG-related initiatives.
Qualities we are looking for in scholarship applicants
- Leadership skills.
- Strong speaking and presentation ability (in English).
- Experience volunteering or working on SDG-related initiatives, with particular emphasis on SDG 13, 14, 15, and/or 17.
- Commitment and plans for continuing SDG-related work in the future.
For questions, please Contact Us or email firstname.lastname@example.org